Sunday 23 August 2009

Summer Sundae-ness

Summer Sundae Weekender is a three day festival in my home town of Leicester. It's a great turn with a wide mix of bands split over four stages as well as a comedy tent, the Phrased and Confused tent and other festival jollity. It has a wonderful atmosphere and it's small size is much of it's appeal. I've been to a few and I've always enjoyed them. Apart from getting to do a couple of songs on The Musician stage a few years ago, I've never played (insert shoulder shrugging image here) but this year I got asked to be involved with the Fringe festival events.

The SSW fringe festival used to be a one night warm up party the night before the festival began a proper. This year it was a fortnight long program of events including two photo exhibtions. I was asked to play the launch night at the LCB Depot and one the Fringe warm up night gigs on the thursday before SSW kicks off.
I enjoyed every nerve racking minute of it. The LCB depot gig saw me turn out 27 minute run of 'Spring' replete with some new field recordings. I got to play with Pacific Ocean Fire afterwards as well (and they are soooo good at the minute). On the thursday I played at the New Road Inn with POF again and the Falling Leaves and managed to completely go off on one. The Fringe events all raise money for LOROS too, so as well as loads of ace gigs happening around the city on one night all the people who come to see the acts play are helping others.

Below are a couple of photos capturing my grey haired mastery of singing birds and glockenspiels and something really nice that was written about me in the Firebug guide to the festival (thank you!!!). There shall be another post about the cassette soon as I have them in my possession. Ta!
Photos are by the lovely Jennifer Anne Simpson.













No comments: